“Now it came to pass, at the time for giving birth, that behold, twins were in her womb. And so it was, when she was giving birth, that the one put out his hand; and the midwife took a scarlet thread and bound it on his hand, saying, “This one came out first.” Then it happened, as he drew back his hand, that his brother came out unexpectedly; and she said, “How did you break through? This breach be upon you!” Therefore, his name was called Perez. Afterward his brother came out who had the scarlet thread on his hand. And his name was called Zerah.” Genesis 38:27-30 (NKJV)
I welcome you to the 10th month of the year of our LORD 2019, in Jesus’ Name. Last month, the LORD gave us ‘Greater Harvest of Blessing” and henceforth, you shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water that bringeth forth its fruit in her season (Psalm 1:3), in Jesus’ Name. This month, the LORD Who is determined not only to make us fruitful, wants us to come out on top as number one; hence the Pharez anointing to overtake. WHY?
- A lot of people meant for the top find themselves at the bottom. Many are struggling to maintain the victory once received. Many fight battles all their lives. As children they fought, as teenagers they fought, as adults they’re fighting, or even at old age still fighting.
Contextual Definition (OVERTAKE): To overtake is to achieve a level once obtained that might have been previously lost, in which case, the level lost is not only recaptured but also surpassed, and that even by surprise.
When Pharez exited the womb, the midwife asked, “How hast thou broken forth?” From our text, it was time for Tamar to deliver her set of twins and the midwife was ready. One of the two boys, later named Zerah, got the first opportunity for breakthrough. He put his hand out and the midwife joyfully announced, “This came out first”, and put a red scarlet around his wrist. This was to recognize the first and supposed head of the leading clan in Judah, the ancestor of David and, ultimately, Christ’s. But alas, that was not to be. Because, suddenly this boy, Zerah, withdrew back into the womb and, at that very point, the second boy emerged from the womb and came out completely. The midwife amazedly asked, “How hast thou broken forth (overtaken)?”
This really was a breakthrough for this boy who was later named Pharez, meaning breaking forth. He was to come last, but he came first. “How did you do it?” The midwife asked! As they were “crowning” Pharez the leader, Zerah, who had the first shot at breakthrough, came out and it was a pity. So, Pharez became the head of the leading clan in Judah and the ancestor of David and ultimately of Christ (Ruth 4:18-22, Matthew 1:1-3).
- Even though we are talking of babies here, the process and the drama at the birth of these twins as one overtook the other has spiritual significance and vital lessons for a breaking forth.
- Although, it was determined that there were twins in the womb, there was no scanning machine, and the mother pushing couldn’t see anything. She and her children were at the mercy of the midwife, who quickly tagged the first wrist out with a scarlet thread to recognize the elder. However, the unexpected happened when he withdrew his hand, and his brother came forth. The dumbfounded midwife could only wonder how he broke forth.
Spiritually, Zerah represents:
- Those who shine early in life, shine so, so, early apparently without any sweat.
- Those who want to steal the show and lead ahead of others.
- Those who go out to buy or bribe leadership to get recognized.
- Persons who want to get ahead by all means necessary, by hook or by crook.
- People who manipulate their way to the top in order to leave others behind.
- Those who push for leadership positions they are not qualified or due for.
- In normal delivery, childbirth does not start with the hand, but the head. To stay ahead, you must come headfirst.
- There was Zerah, who tried to shine ahead of his time. He put out his hand, but it was a false representation.
- He wrongfully put out his hand. He stole the show with the scarlet thread that was quickly put on his wrist. His cheating was recognized. He stole the show and was recognized for doing so.
- Taking the lead with the inability to sustain the advantage. The lie [of devotion/commitment] could not be sustained.
You see Christians complaining about unbelievers who seem to be making progress. Sometimes, you try doing the right thing, but no one recognizes you. Yet, someone else is using crookedness to get results. They are like Zerah and might even be declared the winner.
- May all Zerahs who have stolen your position be cleared away now, in Jesus’ Name.
- They shall hand over to you, in Jesus’ Name.
- Every Zerah that shows up to collect your blessing will be exposed, in Jesus’ Name.
Pharez Means Brother/Sister Breaks Through
- His name also means breached or making an opening by constant hammering.
- The God of Pharez is a specialist in fetching people from behind to take them to the front (1 Samuel 16:1-13).
- The God of Pharez can go into a situation and take the person neglected, abandoned, whose destiny has been discounted, and convert a zero to a hero.
- Starting early does not imply you will finish first.
- Starting late does not mean you’ll finish last.
- Never confuse starting early with finishing first.
- Recognition of men is not the recognition of God.
- Never judge a performance by the late start.
- David lost it all and he cried, and he inquired what to do from the LORD. 1 Samuel 30:8 says, “And David enquired at the Lord, saying, Shall I pursue after this troop? shall I overtake them? And he answered him, pursue for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.” The Pharez anointing enables one to pursue, overtake and recover all!
- The Pharez anointing can boldly say, “But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive” (Genesis 50:20).
- The Pharez anointing is one that wisely avoids conflict by every necessary means. Genesis 13:8-9 says, “And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren. Is not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.”
- It is the anointing that stays in the place of prayer until something happens. Acts 12:5 says, “Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.”
- It is the anointing that would say, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).
- One of the best Prime Ministers England has ever produced was Winston Churchill. When he was in school, it was written on his report card that, “he was a celebrated dunce.” Yet, he moved on to become the Prime Minister of the whole country.
5 Keys to Connecting to the Pharez Anointing
- You must find God: A personal encounter with the
King of kings and LORD of lords. I didn’t say you must find a church and
know the pastor. Important as those are, the core thing is to find and know God.
- He said come near to Me and I will come near to you. You must know the God that you find.
- Daniel 11:32, “And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong and do exploits.”
- Move closer to God and understand His language:
- Paul after being called and making impact for God said in Philippians 3:10, “That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death,” even at the level of the anointing he was operating with God. That means many of us don’t know God at all.
- Change your attitude: a positive attitude will do great wonders in your life. Remain positive no matter what’s going on around you.
- Persons with positive attitudes see challenges coming towards them as opportunities, see all the setbacks as temporary inconveniences, and see the positive every time they look at their lives. If your attitude is bad, moving forward will be so, so difficult. If the way you handle issues is not good, you’ll not be able to connect to the Pharez anointing.
- Start from where you are and overtake: You don’t just sit down where you are and begin to grumble and moan; keep moving, keep moving, keep moving.
- Step into the door God is opening for you: Step into those doors. God may open a door for you, but a-times, you’re too blind, too discouraged and worried to see it.
Claim the Pharez Anointing with violent faith and prayer. This is that anointing that moves the dejected and rejected to the front; the anointing that moves someone from the dungeon to the palace. It moves the despised to become a champion; moves the one that is foolish to confound the wise, moves the weak to confound the strong. This anointing moves you to confront the Zerah confronting you.
Prayers for the Harvest of Souls (Acts 2:14-42, 4:4):
- If you have people who are already laughing at you, connect to the God of Pharez and let’s see what will happen.
- Jesus is here, so His power and ability are also here; the power that can
change one’s position and story. You will operate in violent faith and give the
enemy no alternative, telling him that, “I want my position that has been
stolen.” If you are not yet saved, raise up your right hand and say:
- Father, in the Name of Jesus, I come before you, come into my life, take control of my life, in Jesus’ mighty Name.
- Every Judas assigned against my prosperity scatter, in the Name of Jesus.
- Anything in my life stealing my uncommon breakthroughs, clear away, in the Name of Jesus.
- By the power in the Blood of Jesus, O God arise and make a way for me where there is no way, in Jesus’ Name.
- My reality is defined by the words of Isaiah 55:12 which say, “For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.”
- Father, I command every monitoring spirit following my progress to be blinded forever, in Jesus’ Name.
- Father, I am tired of the highway of sorrow, I exit into joy, peace and prosperity, in Jesus’ Name
- Father, I disarm every family strongman fighting against my breakthrough, in Jesus’ Name
- Father, I declare that in life, I will always be at the right place and at the right time.
- Father, I reject accidents on my way to breakthroughs, in Jesus’ Name
- Father, I reject setbacks and fruitless labor, in Jesus’ Name
- Father, I recover every lost opportunity, in Jesus’ Name
- I declare that from now on, I shall excel in all I do, in Jesus’ Name.