“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.” (Genesis 1:3) I welcome you to the third month of this new decade. Last month, the LORD gave us the keys and secrets of spiritual warfare. As we bask in that glory, the LORD is giving us another dimension of the great turnaround we shall be experiencing this year. In Genesis 1:3, let there be light is a command from God that was obeyed in heaven and on earth. Jesus said, “Ye are the light of the world, a city set on a hill that cannot be hid” (Matthew 5:14).
Let there be light can mean different things to different people. It can translate to let there be victory for one person and, for another, let there be prosperity, righteousness, revival, breakthroughs, open heavens, or deliverance, etc. However, for this month, and in this piece, I want us to think of that command as a divine instruction or mandate from heaven to engage in prophetic praying.
Prophetic prayers are prayers that are inspired. That is, they originate in the mind of God and the Holy Spirit then communicates them into the heart of a believer in prayer. Prophetic praying is the most effective way of carrying out prayer warfare because it gets quick and outstanding results. It is also praying with the word of God under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit with the intent of exercising dominion over every part of creation (Genesis 1:26).
Prophetic prayer is neither begging nor pleading with God to do something. It is also not the exercising of spiritual authority as a believer standing in his God-given position and power over a situation in his own understanding. Prophetic praying is literally speaking out God’s mind, in the moment, concerning a specific situation. It is speaking or acting as God would in that situation. It is engaging the Rhema Word of God, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, as touching any facet of creation, with the intent of exercising dominion.
Examples of Prophetic Prayers in the Bible:
- Jesus said, “Lazarus come forth” and many mysterious things began to align until Lazarus that has been dead four days resurrected and glory was given to God (John 11:1-50).
- God and Ezekiel demonstrated the power of prophetic prayers in Ezekiel 37. As the prophet began to follow God’s instruction obediently and systematically, Israel was prophetically revived and restored back to life.
A Contemporary Example of the Practical Application of Prophetic Prayers:
A modern-day example of the potency of this prayer is the case of a prominent Head of State in Nigeria, who ruled by terror and was hell bent on making himself a lifetime president. He might have succeeded had he not overstepped his bounds by going after the life of the anointed of God, Pastor E. A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of The Redeemed Christian of God. Everybody in Nigeria knew this tyrannical President and his propensity to make people disappear once he arrested them. Such a person would typically never be seen nor heard from ever again!
General Sani Abacha gave the internal order for the arrest of Pastor Adeboye, who was then informed by his spiritual children in the military. President Abacha believed that Pastor Adeboye’s prayers were the only thing standing in the way of him attaining this unconstitutional goal of being a president for life. He foolishly believed he could neutralize the problem by arresting Pastor Adeboye.
The intended victim prayed about the predicament and God asked him to make an announcement to the congregation the next day during the Holy Ghost service of June 1998. Pastor Adeboye obeyed and asked the congregation to congratulate each other, “Happy New Year,” which they did during the June 5 Friday night service into June 6 Saturday morning. On Monday, June 8, 1998, President Sani Abacha died in Abuja that day and was buried in Kano the same day, per Muslim custom. That, brethren, is the power of prophetic prayers!
Other Practical Applications of Prophetic Prayers:
- Prophetic prayers can be used to lay foundation for families. Fathers can establish for their families a spiritual heritage as they receive words of prophecy and promises from God and declare it. Remember Jacob and his 12 children in Genesis 49.
- Prophetic prayers are used to overcome the enemy. In 1 Samuel 17:45-50, David used this powerful prayer to overcome Goliath, the enemy. David prayed a testimonial prophetic prayer at the heat of the battle. The word that David spoke by inspiration took hold of Goliath, terminated his covenants with Dagon, the god of the Philistines. That word broke the power of Dagon, confused the Philistine army, empowered the army of Israel, and summoned the birds of the air and the beasts of the field to feast on the dead bodies of the Philistines.
Basis for Prophetic Prayers:
Every believer who wants to be able to manifest the power of God must catch a revelation of himself or herself as a king or queen enthroned by God Himself (Jeremiah 1:10; Revelation 5:9-10). Such a believer is then able to root out, destroy and throw down satanic princes/enclaves, ungodly rulers and unfavorable things, and able to build and plant things and systems that promote the righteousness of God. The Bible says that “where the word of a king is, there is power…” (Ecclesiastes 8:4). With this basic understanding, and the supplementary keys below, you can effectively be involved in prophetic praying:
- You must have a healthy prayer life – Luke 18:1; Romans 12:12; Matthew 17:21, 26:41.
- You must be filled with the Word of God – Colossians 3:16.
- You must be filled with, and be solely guided by, the Holy Spirit to avoid acting presumptuously – Matthew 4:1; Acts 27:9-44.
- You must be sensitive to the Holy Spirit – Acts 14:8-10.
- The objective of prayer should primarily be for the purpose of seeing God’s will established in an area or place.
In conclusion, we must understand that in prophetic praying, as you declare, let there be light, we are aligning with God so that the words we speak from our mouth shall be those He put there. His hand will cover us (Isaiah 51:16; Psalms 82:6) from many counterforces that may come as a reaction to the effects of our words.
- My Father, Jehovah Rapha, Jehovah Ropheka, Jehovah Shammah, El-Gibor, Jehovah Shalom, Elohim, El-Olam, Defender, Comforter, The Trinity, Hope of Glory, Lion of Judah, Root of Jesse, I Praise You! Sing: Psalms 48:1-2, “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God…”
- I thank you my LORD Jesus Christ, The Way, The Truth and The Life, Bread of life. Just worship Him. Bread Winner, Champion of Champions, Winner of Winners, my Master.
- I plead the Blood of Jesus for cleansing and forgiveness. Every negative covenant is cancelled by the Blood of Jesus. Hebrews 9:13-15 – Let the Blood mediate for us in Jesus name!
- I receive the Holy Spirit’s empowerment to pray prophetically today, this week, this month and this year, in Jesus’ Name!
- I confront any power challenging my dominion with the blood of Jesus!
- Job 42:10-12, “And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also, the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.” O thou my destiny, you shall not die anonymously, you shall not be hidden, you shall not be covered, and you shall not be rejected. You shall not continue life in ignominy and obscurity, in Jesus’ Name.
- God wants us to increase and multiply you in 7 areas: Revelations 5:12, “Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing.” I prophesy that I shall increase in POWER, RICHES, WISDOM, STRENGTH, HONOR, GLORY, and BLESSING, in Jesus’ Name.
- Every program of demotion, devaluation and deterioration organized for me by Satan and his cohorts, scatter by fire, in Jesus’ Name.
- Anointing for fruitfulness and plenty in all areas of my life, fall on me today, in Jesus’ Name.
- On the basis of Isaiah 10:27, lay your hand on your head and proclaim these
- I receive the fresh anointing for profitable life.
- Anointing for unsolicited favor, rest upon me.
- Anointing to break out of obscurity, begin to flow upon my business.
- I receive a fresh anointing for supernatural attraction.
- Anointing for supernatural connection, rest upon me and my family.
- Anointing of come and see, begin to flow upon my life.
- Anointing that commands unsolicited help, manifest in my life.
- The anointing to finish well, begin to speak in my life.
- 1 Kings 13:4, “And it came to pass, when king Jeroboam heard the saying of the man of God, which had cried against the altar in Bethel, that he put forth his hand from the altar, saying, Lay hold on him. And his hand, which he put forth against him, dried up, so that he could not pull it in again to him.” Every contrary hand stretched against my husband/wife, career, neighborhood, city and country, catch fire in Jesus’ Name.
- The LORD will mightily bless all your destiny helpers and keep them safe through the year and you will serve God. None of these prophecies over your life shall fail (Isaiah 34:16), in Jesus’ Name.
- Exodus 23:25-26, “And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee. There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.” I receive the grace to serve the LORD wholeheartedly, with all my strength, soul and spirit, in Jesus’ Name. LORD bless my bread and water, make me fruitful and help me to fulfill the number of my days.